In 1967, the ASU School of Law opened its doors to the first class of 117 students on the Tempe campus. Three years later, in 1970, 83 students were accepted. Under the leadership of Russell Nelson (1981-1988) and Acting President Richard Peck (1988), Arizona State University (ASU) was able to gain greater academic recognition in response to the increasing demand for educational services. In 1953, the Arizona Board of Regents (dominated by University of Arizona alumni) authorized the establishment of a College of Arts and Sciences and requested that the U.
S. Department of Education evaluate the ASC program. In the early 1930s, Arizona needed to be nationally accredited in order to be recognized as a quality educational institution. However, the eligibility requirements of accrediting organizations specified that a large percentage of teachers must have advanced degrees, particularly doctorates. Over the course of 18 years, Law Forum magazine reported on the expansion of the law building and the addition of libraries, anniversary milestones, and the creation of new programs such as the legal program for Indians in 1988. Students who completed the four-year course could pursue graduate studies in education at a university and would receive secondary certificates that would enable them to teach in high schools in Arizona.
The university offered a more diverse curriculum, but the only advanced degree available was still a master's degree in education. The Normal School was responsible for teaching people, both men and women, in the art of teaching and all other branches related to a good common school education; it also provided instruction in mechanical arts and animal husbandry and agricultural chemistry, as well as fundamental law of the United States and citizens' rights and duties. Safford helped Arizonans recognize the need for an institution that would train teachers to work in public schools, but it wasn't until the Thirteenth Legislative Assembly met in 1885 that there was enough political will to address secondary and higher education. The Tempe State Teachers School was established in 1925 with 41 teachers and 672 students. In 1929, Arizona State Teachers College offered a four-year university curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in education. The City Attorney's Office represents the City in all legal proceedings through its Civil Division and Criminal Division (Prosecutor's Office).As a result of Flagstaff Normal School opening in 1901, the legislature officially named Tempe Normal School which was featured in all official publications beginning in 1903. Given Nininger's global reputation as an expert in meteorics and the general reexamination of scientific education in America due to the Soviet launch of Sputnik satellite, ASU's acquisition of this collection in 1960 caught the attention of both NSF and NASA.
This law school would become a national leader in legal and educational reform over the next 50 years. In his thirteen-minute speech, he presented his vision for children's education, educational training and development in the Valley. For more than half a century now, legal education has been evolving rapidly in Tempe, Arizona. From its humble beginnings as a Normal School to its current status as one of America's leading universities offering advanced degrees in law, ASU has come a long way. The university has been at the forefront of educational reform since its inception, providing students with access to quality legal education while also promoting social justice initiatives such as legal programs for Native Americans. Today, ASU is home to one of America's top-ranked law schools with an impressive faculty roster that includes some of the most renowned legal scholars from around the world. The university also offers an array of specialized courses such as international law, environmental law, business law, criminal law and more.
With its commitment to excellence and innovation, ASU is sure to continue leading legal education into new frontiers for many years to come.